Did you know that LinkedIn lists “Top 25” profiles of people and categories under virtually any criteria you can think of?
As a LinkedIn User, you have to do the search in a Private Browsing window, (incognito mode) otherwise you will see something different and it might also affect your LinkedIn Advanced Search “commercial limit”. Private searching can be an important factor for discovering your personal ranking, which can enhance or detract from internet sourcing that recruiters use to find candidates for their job search assignments.
Career management legend John C. Lucht died April 13. Lucht was a virtuoso of savvy strategy and the architect of countless innovative career moves benefiting not only executives and top professionals, but the workforce at large.
Millions of his readers gained insider knowledge of the recruiting industry through Lucht’s eyes, learning how to cut the best deals by following the wisdom revealed in his frequently updated books, especially “Rites of Passage at $100,000 to $1 Million+.”
Once upon a time, an out of work job seeker was starting to develop a case of self-doubt wondering if he would ever get a job. After weeks of searching, spending a great deal of time and effort filling out applications, sending in specific information and waiting, he determined his experience was not what employers wanted.
From there, he began to reason that he might need to lower his sights and look for positions below his skill level and compensation just so he could get a job. He was so frustrated – just about ready to settle for anything – that he tried something new: He laid out his activities in a pie chart.
Within minutes of thinking about where he spent his time and energy, it became clear he was putting most his effort in areas that produced the least results. He was spending 75 percent of his time answering ads, diligently applying everywhere there was a position. The other 25 percent of his time was spent on the No. 1 way to find a job – Networking.
There are several questions you need to ask yourself before you proceed with starting a home based consulting business:
What to do if you still want to keep working?
Looking for a job is never an easy task. During these challenging economic times it can be quite an overwhelming process. It’s been my experience that Internet Job Boards do more harm than good to the people they claim to be helping. Internet job postings can be an addictive curse for job seekers by creating a lot of “false hope”. Simply applying to a job online perpetuates the illusion of being busy and productive in your job search, when it’s really not!
Be prepared to BRIEFLY inform your contacts what you’re up to and what you’re looking for…then step back. “I don’t want to monopolize your time! How about if I give you a call in a few days to see what suggestions you might be able to give me.” When you do call, you’ve “primed the pump,” so to speak, and you won’t feel awkward reintroducing yourself to people you haven’t been close with recently.
Note: Selling Sucks! Marketing is Sexy!
A client once told me she was a “marketing idiot.” What she really needed, she said, was the “world’s simplest marketing plan.” So I set out to create one for her. Here’s what it looked like:
1. Make a list of everyone you know.
2. Tell those people about your business.
3. Ask if they’d like to find out more about it.
4. Tell the interested people more and create advocates to refer you.
5. When you get to the end of the list, contact everyone again.
1. LEVEL OF CONFIDENCE – Beginning with the way the candidate walks into the room; their presence and body language; whether or not they initiate the handshake; the firmness of that handshake; ability to maintain eye contact and the self-assurance to permit their personality to shine through; remembering to smile.